Monday, March 9, 2009

Women's History Month

Every family has one, an Historic Woman in our past. A sassy aunt, a grandmother who survived the depression years through nothing less than true grit, a mother that would stand up to the school principal (even when it WAS your fault), a great-aunt who bucked the system. Regardless of their tactics or temperament, they made an impression of strength that has stayed with you and your family.

I certainly had troop of rebellious, strong women to lead the way before me, leaving no doubt of a woman's potential. My grandmother, Faye Elizabeth Smith Keyes was the first female columnist for the Detroit News. Her daughter, Faye, was the first woman to have her own weekly radio show on WJR (some coincidence). My mother's mother carried the million dollars of war relief money from the U.S. to the Phillipines after WWI and trekked through their jungles establishing cottage industries to establish their economic recovery.

But of all the women in my family, it was my spinster great aunt YaYa, a hard working, studious librarian who touched my heart. Her patient and content demeanor, love of routine and hard work and an ability to never get her feathers ruffled, stand out as the makings of a woman with skills and abilities I have yet to master.

Who stands out for you? The bold brassy dame? The sweet loving angel? Please share your story with us and don't forget to share these stories with the children in your family. These stories pave the future with possibility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just bought my 1st Maya Angelo book, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", and am anxious to read it. "Historic Women From the Past" sounds very interesting to me, as well. I'll have to pick it up from the library or the Bookie Joint. Thanks for the tip!