Monday, March 16, 2009

The Upside of Fear


Today I interviewed Pam Slim, sister blogger and author of Escape from Cubicle Nation. I have followed her blog for about six months and especially enjoyed her video post of a presentation she made called: The Upside of Fear( Click Here to watch it). What struck me was the title. The Upside of Fear.

At Marigold, we are always scouting for timely topics and great speakers. Honestly, I usually trust my instincts that what interests me will most likely interest our audience. The Upside of Fear, oh yeah, this is good stuff. Have you found fear peeking at you from behind your business plan or your dusted-off resume? Whereas most of us are completely immobilized by fear, it can actually be the motivator behind great and unlikely strides toward success.

We used to feel that a paycheck was the safe option as compared to freelancing or going into business on our own. Ironically, in this new economy, working for yourself may give you a greater sense of control over your destiny and income. How many of us with jobs are living in fear of a paycut or layoff? At least with your own business, you can bob and weave through this new set of circumstances, morphing your business to fit economic changes instead of waiting for your employer to "do something".

I recently spoke to woman who was dreading being laid-off. Her strategy.... she approached her employer with the proposition of terminating her employment and becoming her first client. She knew she could find other clients that had downsized her same position and needed only "part-time" help now.

If this idea strikes a chord, my advice:
If you think that this is the worst time to start a new business, I ask you: "What is this a good time for?"

No comments: