Monday, September 1, 2008

Shake?

I believe I am an "over-shaker". I shake hands with students, little old ladies, the paper boy... I'm a shaker, always have been. Every so often, I detect a level of discomfort from the shaken one. Have I misjudged the appropriateness of the shake? How do YOU feel about shaking hands? Is there a male/female rule about this business of shaking hands? Do you shake hands at a baby shower?

Bill Marsh, Jr. and I recently had this conversation. He wondered how customers at his dealerships, females in particular, would feel about a salesperson offering their hand for a welcome shake? Too personal? Intrusive? Neighborly? Bill also shared this CareerBuilder.com article on shaking hands. I think you will find it interesting

I told him that I am a bad measure for most women on this one, I'm an enthusiastic shaker.

How do YOU feel about shaking? Please share your thoughts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shaking hands is the single most important social step to take when establishing relationships. The person who offers her hand first immediately presents herself as the one in control of the exchange. Handshakes should be firm without being uncomfortable, be made "web-to-web," and consist of three shakes and a release. Always look into the eyes of the person with whom you're shaking hands and smile! A good and confident handshake will open many doors.

Anonymous said...

As a woman, I, too,have been the "over-shaker" My philosophy is..."I am genuinely happy to meet you, see you again...and I'd like to establish this 'meeting you' as a professional, personable event! My children were taught at a very young age to extend their hand first-a common European tradition.
Jane Buntic

Anonymous said...

I like to hug ;-)
A handshake is a sign of manners, that you are listening to the person in front of you and are interested in what they have to share with you.