Thursday, August 23, 2007

What does vacation mean to you?

When you think of "vacation", do you think of going on new adventures? Packing the kids in the car with coolers and bug spray? Exploring a new city?

For my summer vacation, I'm spending half of it doing the family car trip, then I get a few days to myself. All I want during my upcoming break from work is unplanned time and the pure luxury of deciding what I want to do with it. Maybe I'll nap. Maybe I'll read, have lunch with a friend, go to the beach. Don't ask me what time I'll get there, I don't want to know. I think this is such decadence, to have no responsibility for much of anything for even just a few days.

I love the hustle and bustle of my career as much as anybody, maybe I love it a bit too much. But during this summer break from Marigold and Mary in the Morning, I will not be thinking about web site sponsors or upcoming speakers, not even the daunting task of converting my financials to Quickbooks 07. This is my challenge to myself, turn off the business brain and plug into...... absolutely nothing!

3 comments:

james said...

Vacation to me would be taking time off from one job to be able to allocate all of my attention to another. Being in the middle of a start up business with my wife and staying focussed on my career, while raising our 1.5 year old boy makes vacation seem very illusive. Maybe next year. : )

Unknown said...

Funny that you posted this blog...I had just shared with a good friend of mine that I dream of a rustic cabin in a remote location (indoor plumbing is a must!) but the rest I don't care about. No media (sorry), phones, computers but armed with a stack of books that I never have time to read; enjoying a reading bonanza!
A time where I would do exactly whatever I wanted to do-no schedule, total freedom and yes, boredom!

As busy women with careers, we also do double duty with our responsibilities of being wife, partner and/or mother. Life must go on no matter how busy we are and our lives are jam packed! So...I applaud you and yet I am jealous! Enjoy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Vacation is subjective and different to all people - a vacation could be a day at the spa, a weekend away to a bed & breakfast, or a week long trip on a luxury cruise in the Caribbean. What is important is that we don't lose focus on keeping ourselves healthy and our minds clear to keep our lives in balance. My ideal vacation would be to trek across Mongolia....quite a diversion from my everyday life as single mom to two active boys and a business owner!