Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lady Campers!

Is it always such a good idea to get out of your comfort zone? When you get that "uncomfortable" feeling, isn't that a message to re-evaluate your circumstances and plan the exit strategy? Or does it mean that you are growing? Growing is supposed to be good for you I hear.

Here's the story: My family wants to go camping. Yes, camping. Outside. In the woods. I've gotten this far in life with "Just Say No".  Camping just isn't my thing, and yes I say that for all the girlie reasons that you would expect. I'm not proud.

I recently made the mistake of adding a caveat to the whole camping issue: OK, I will go, IF: We go with another family of veteran-campers who have kids and all the equipment to make it something I ATTEND not CREATE. I don't know how to camp. I'm certain that other women like myself have been initiated into camping and have figured out all the tricks to make it fun for kids and grown-up sorts.

Just like when you negotiate with God and tell him you'll never eat chocolate again if he could just make that police officer pass you on the highway and pull over the the car ahead of you, my wish has been granted and just such a family has invited us to go into the woods with them. In fact, two families have come forward. They have the equipment. My family looks at me with  raised eyebrows and they smirk at me. I am cornered. I want my chocolate back.

So lady campers... send me your secret tricks to make camping a magical family experience...please!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary! My family is relatively new to camping too. I never went as a kid but it was something I wanted to do with my kids. The first time we went we used a tent my husband and I received as a wedding gift some 10 years or so before, which was still in the sealed box (let's just say it took quite a bit of sweat & swearing before that thing went up)! We only stayed one night and boy, was that a LOT of work for only one night! So next time we stayed a weekend and now we're finally up to LONG weekends! You won't be great campers right away, but don't worry about it. You're there to have fun with your family so remember not to sweat the small stuff. My advice is to stick closer to home for the first few times until you get the hang of it (we've had to make trips home for things we forgot...such as chairs, a whole cooler of food and the dog!). Stay at a family friendly campground that has lots of activities for kids, start out by taking easy food that doesn't need a lot of cooking or prep, don't forget bug spray, sunscreen and everything for s'mores (a camping must). Some adult beverages might be nice for sitting around the campfire or to aid in trying to ignore the 'professionals' that will be surrounding you. You know, the ones with table cloths on the picnic tables, the perfectly hung clothes line, beautiful lights on their $35,000 camper with the 10 feet of green outdoor carpet laid out in front, sitting in their matching deluxe rocker/recliner lawn chairs watching you struggle to put up your tent! Yikes...that sounds kind of bitter, doesn't it. Anyway, hope you have fun. Let us know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Here's the best of both worlds: rent a cabin for $45/night at Northport's wonderful state park. They have four bunks, a small fridge, a microwave, table and a baseboard heater.
However, the johns are outdoors, you haul your own water, there's no sink, so don't start thinking this is wholly woosy camping.
I've tent camped from Maine to California, Canada to Key West. I've also done it in a pop top VW camper. I like the rustic bug free cabins with matresses on the beds best!

Anonymous said...

Mary,
Next week I am going camping at Lake Superior Provincial Park with my son. Now a single mom I am determined to take my son on a vacation. I have had no time to plan this thing or pack. I have a soccer tournament out of town this weekend so I guess I'll be doing it all on Monday. Instead of freaking out I decided to just go for it.

I've done a lot of camping and my life and my son is 17 so he should be a help. Get yourself a couple of large plastic storage bins, one for food one for everything else kitchen. If you get into this I highly recommend stepping into a camping store and purchasing a kitchen in a bag. It has silverware and little containers organized in banded slots that you can fill with the must have spices and oils.
But to make it magical...Cards and board games you can all play around the camp light. Fun foods, bacon and eggs for breakfast, good coffee, flash lights for the kids, a soccer ball and frisbees, sparklers, guitar for campfire sign-a-longs, toilet paper, swim suites, water balloons, kayaks, sand toys, bug spray,shoes to hike in. And if you have a gps there are great treasure hunts you and kids can go on. People have hidden treasures or containers with messages all over the world for you to find. Here is a web site for more info: www.geocaching.com Good video that explains it all

This is just a riot to do with kids and adults and makes a hike just that much more fun.

Enjoy your adventure.