Monday, February 15, 2010

Should have posted this sooner!

No, actually, I'm blogging on time... this time. Is procrastination your enemy? I admit that I am a first-class over-achieving procrastinator. I can't wait to bond with my "better later than now" brothers and sisters at Marigold Forum on Thursday 2/18.

For a long time I bought into the research that said procrastination was a game of perfectionism. If there was any doubt that the end result would be less than perfect, we would delay starting the project at all. As with so many other theories, this one is being tossed out the window. I've never been a card-carrying perfectionist so I always wondered about the validity.

Here is my theory on my procrastination, because it seems to get worse as I get older: If I hit a roadblock in my project or chore, where I don't know exactly how to do something, I bail. At least for a time being, because I'm going to need to figure something out. At 46, I seem to think I should know everything I need to know and if it is going to require work (ugh!) to learn something, I put it off because I'd rather spend time doing what I know.Yes, I am ashamed. The strange thing is, I love learning new stuff, but I want to do it on my terms, not out of necessity. 

How about you? Why do you procrastinate? Have you figured out a way to leave this club? Can you come to my house and figure out why I can't view .pdfs anymore?

Post your comments here and please join us at Red Ginger on Thursday 2/18. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER. NOW!

Your friend,
Mary Rogers

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Ah, Mary....I love your out loud thinking. You are bold and truth-telling, and you make us laugh and see parts of us in you.
Thank you!